American Girls….

Bless their hearts.

There has been a lot of chatter and discussion over the last several years on the internet and in the blog world about American women having an “entitlement-princess” mentality…the “it is all about me” attitude.

While certainly examples of this are everywhere (and having spent time in Southern California, I can honestly say that attitude does exist among some women) I wonder how prevalent it is?

Let me also add, there is to a degree an entitlement attitude among some men as well, but I will leave that discussion for another post.

Do we live in a society that places self-esteem, narcissism, equality and empowerment above fairness and common sense?

Are biological realities no longer relevant when dealing with each other on a day-to-day basis?

I certainly don’t have the answers, but just maybe a part of the answer could be a little more humility.

Seems to me, life is a lot more pleasant when you can be honest about your own limitations.

About jeb610

Taking one day at a time, and enjoying life in the heart of Dixie. People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don’t sit looking at it – walk. There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.
This entry was posted in General, Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to American Girls….

1. Susan Norden says:

Perfectly said! This topic has been on my mind for several weeks now. I’ve been tossing about the idea of a blog on this very topic myself. I always look forward to your blogs, by the way!

2. jeb610 says:

Thanks Susan and this has been on my mind for awhile as well.

I am glad you enjoy the posts on my little blog. Come back anytime!

3. PJ says:

I think this is a most interesting topic. There will ALWAYS be men and women raised in entitlement and know nothing else. Some will realize the difference and want to change or use their “privilege” to help others. And there will always be those born into entitlement that stay there and limit themselves to admiring and needing things instead of people and relationships…their loss….think Paris Hilton.

There are also the second echelon who “believe” they are better than others and it may come and go at varying ages depending on their family life and who their peers are. I have reconnected with people I knew as teenagers and I am just stunned how nice some have turned out to be and not surprised how others remain the same.

At my age, I find myself seeking out people or being drawn to people that are like me. They may, from time to time, influence my thinking or vice versa, because in most cases we are like minded. We usually have the same political views and usually are in the same age group give or take five years up or down and may have similar interests. I am also drawn to common sense or street smarts sometimes more over the well educated. It’s all in the upbringing.

When my son was a young boy, I would take him aside when I heard him bragging a bit too much about getting 100% or an A or a hit in baseball and I would tell him, “You never sing your own praises. If you are that good, everyone will know and you will be told, from time to time, by someone who counts like a teacher or a coach.” I also let him know how proud I was of him and still do.

When I think of biological realities I think of class or racial influence and for me, they are not relevant, whatsoever.

When we are presented with someone so wise or talented, or anyone who has overcome adversities, I would hope we are all humbled in their abilities or accomplishments.

Life is more pleasant when you realize self accomplishment and can remain humble. It will move you forward to your next goal.

• jeb610 says:

Interesting perspective on my post.

I was however talking about the sense that some American women have of gender entitlement so common today-not money/wealth or class entitlement.

Though your example of Paris Hilton is most likely an example of both narcissistic class entitlement and gender entitlement.

Thanks for your comment.

4. everevie says:

Interesting post….interesting comments. The only women I know who tend towards “Gender Entitlement” are those who are excessively insecure. Almost every extreme personality I know (male or female) are people who are dealing with deep-seated fear of rejection and disapproval. It’s usually a facade that crumbles in the face of understanding and acceptance.

5. PJ says:

Everevie, You said it well.